Sunday, November 02, 2008

The body of Christ



This is a picture hanging on my Dad's wall. Dad used to live in a 2 story house full of antiques and very dramatically decorated...our house was kind of like a museum (we even had an old chair with a rope hanging across it...you know...a "do not sit in this chair" rope). This is one of the paintings I looked at a lot growing up. It's sadness and beauty always captured me...even as a little kid.

Dad suffers with dementia and now lives in a small, low income apartment cared for by my two cousins Timmy and Denise. Timmy is mentally handicapped and Denise takes care of both Dad and Timmy day to day. My sister manages the house logistics and gives oversight and help to keep the little group going.

As I looked at the painting again on our recent trip back, it struck me in a new way. What's happening in this picture is what happens in that little home. As my cousins and my Sister faithfully bathe, soothe, feed and love my Dad, they are caring for Jesus. I seldom encounter such humility and grace. It is holy ground, sad and beautiful.

"Inasmuch as you did it for the least of these brothers of mine, you did it for me." -Jesus

No comments: