Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Living in the Story - Lent #36, 2009



Simon Peter asked him, "Lord, where are you going?"

Jesus replied, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later."

Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."

Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" (John 13)

Our mighty declarations, the things we know we can do, our proud work, our plans, procedures and programs have to fail in order for Jesus to do his greater work. Then, broken and humble, we can follow. He ALWAYS has something different, better and more complete in mind.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow!! I never thought of that before --- all of my promises and commitments to God come out of a proud place. I like the way you put it: "mighty declaration." ...when the best place we can be is humility. God, I am nothing without you.