Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Living in the Story - Lent #37, 2009

When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."

They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?"

Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."

Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?"

Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you." (Matt 26)

Our friend John from Canada is touring his show "Alive - the Easter Report" around our area. I was with him for two performances today (4 more to go) and this passage is included in the presentation. In his inflection, he highlights the fact that Judas calls Jesus "Rabbi" which means "teacher" and not "Lord". That's an interesting nuance.

Is Jesus just a giver of good advice? Is he only a great man? Good teacher? Does he just have good things to say about peace and love?

Or is he Lord? Have you given yourself to him? Have you thrown in your lot and put your future and plans and hopes all on him?

No comments: