Monday, August 30, 2010

What if I only knew this?



“...I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.”
1 Cor 2

What would my life look like if my entire worldview was through the person of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice on the cross? If I saw everything in light of who he is and what he has done? How would it change my perspective on relationships, hardships, finances, culture, politics, work, my self and my community?

What if before I speak, write or act in any way, I considered Jesus and how he laid down his life? What if I picked up my cross and followed Jesus?

Jesus heals, speaks truth, tells redemptive stories, spends time in prayer, encourages, forgives, is a pain to the systems of the world, loves the outcast and those on the fringe, shares meals, feeds people, is above politics, never once gets drawn into a silly dispute, feels no need to defend himself and willingly lays down his life so that others can live.

What if I followed in this way? What if this were all I knew?

2 comments:

Cory said...

Or... "What if this was all we expected of believers?" :)

James said...

At first I might say, "Well that's a limited perspective - to weigh everything against what one man would do." But then, what Jesus did is the perspective, it is the measuring line, the standard, the thing to try to be, of all mankind. Like, he's the only one we can truly and always look at to emulate his heart and actions.
Thanks Chris!
And of course I realize Christ isn't just a man. ;-)