Thursday, September 02, 2010

Becoming a fool

All of the liturgical readings today are about God’s way of turning our world’s wisdom upside down...

“If any one among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.” - 1 Cor 3

“...who shall stand in the holy place? ...(he) who does not lift up his soul to what is false” - Ps 24

‘(Jesus) said to Simon, "Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." And Simon answered, "Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets." - Luke 5

I am consumed with this world and following after its wisdom. I desire to live for the joy in God's kingdom. May I become more of a fool in this life so that I can see the wisdom of the kingdom. How can I let go of the false life and embrace God's reality. How can I become foolish? How do I lift up my soul to what is real? When and how do I drop my nets where it doesn’t make sense?

"If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
- C.S. Lewis in The Weight of Glory

No comments: