Monday, March 16, 2009

Living in the Story - Lent #17, 2009



"All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this. They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him down the cliff. But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way." (Luke 4)

These were people from Jesus' hometown...they grew up with him, they felt they knew him...yeah, Jesus, Mary and Joseph's son.

But here he was in their synagogue, telling them that there was good news for the poor and that he was the fulfillment of prophesy and that the good news was for more than just their race...it was for everyone. They tried to throw him off a cliff.

Do I feel I have Jesus all figured out? Do I feel others aren't worthy of good news? Do I have prejudice against other races? Do I look away? Do I not go to their side of town? Am I afraid of them? Do I feel I have nothing in common with them?

Jesus will always break through our perceptions that try to keep him figured out...he will always break through that part of us that wants to throw parts of him out...he will always go on HIS way. He is the Lord.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am dealing with this now... letting Jesus deal with my perceptions. Even now he undermines my "wisdom" and leaves me with no where else to turn but to Him.