Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Living in the Story - Lent #7, 2009



"This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah." (Luke 11)

There are similarities between the story of Jonah and Jesus. Jonah left his home to deliver God's message, he gave his life so the ship crew could be safe, he spent three days in the fish only to 'resurrect' and deliver his message. And that's where the similarities stop. Where Jonah was reluctant, disobedient and pouty...Jesus was resolved, obedient and endured for the "joy that was set before him".

Is Jesus condemning all future 'supernatural' acts? Of course not, his commissioned his students to work wonders and these continued on into the days of the early church. Miracles still happen today.

However, we do not have to look for the supernatural to be assured of God's love or favor...that is what wicked people do. Jesus himself is enough. If disobedient, reluctant, pouty Jonah was enough to bring Nineveh to it's knees, how much more sufficient is Christ and his good news?

"I will praise you, O LORD.
Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away
and you have comforted me.

Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation."

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.
(Isa. 12)

No comments: