Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Living the Story #19, Lent 2011



"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them." Matt 5: 17

At our new place, my desk is now sitting in front of our bedroom window that faces east. There is a municipal golf course and park across the street. Right now, I can see a man tending one of the putting greens and the little rolling hills of the course that lead to a small line of trees and just beyond that, the rising sun. Pretty sweet, huh?

Right now, in this beautiful, serene scene, laws are being fulfilled. There is the law of gravity that helps us make sense of most of the universe. This law keeps our earth spinning around the sun and the golf course guy firmly in his tractor and me here in my seat to see it all.

And then there are the laws of thermodynamics. One of which states that energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only change form. The sun, right now in space is burning white hot (it only looks yellow because of our atmosphere). The energy inside it is transferred into light which travels to me right now filling my room, warming my face and warming the earth to a habitable temperature.

Light follows it's own set of laws. And we could go on and on to explain the intricacies of what's happening just outside my window. But really, what's important to me about this scene is not finding how it all works, but resting in the wonderful fact that these laws are real and can be counted on as I observe them being fulfilled right in front of my eyes. It's fun to know the laws of how stuff works, but it's better to behold the beauty of them being fulfilled and give thanks.

Hung up on the intricacies of how the christian life works? Just look to Jesus. He is certain as the dawn.



If you're reading this on facebook, you can watch the video of Amie's dance posted with this entry at http://thewhitlers.com

No comments: