Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Peter said to him...



 'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.'

 And He said, 'Come!' 

And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!'

 Immediately, Jesus stretched out his hand and took hold of him, 'You of little faith, why did you doubt?'" Matt 14

 I think Jesus says this to me a lot. In our life, work and community, a sure way of knowing that something is going to work out is if I am afraid that it won't. My wife and friends are always helping to reassure me. They have spoken on behalf of Jesus to my fearful heart so many times.

 This may sound like Jesus is being negative here, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?", but when I read it, it sound comforting and gracious (maybe said with a smile? or a "I could'a had a V8" style hand to the head). When I take a risk in order to walk with Jesus in impossible places, even if I fearfully fall, he will catch me and set me to rights again.

 Chris

 P.S. for an even better reflection on Peter and his tendency to "step out without knowing" go HERE to the lovely Malcolm Guite's sonnet for today.

No comments: