Saturday, January 23, 2016

Psalm 131 - Chris Whitler

I've always loved the simplicity of scripture in song. As a teenager, I discovered the beauty of John Michael Talbot's music. Simple, pure and both ancient and new. I wrote this song years ago, inspired by those early scripture songs. This was my first attempt at setting a tune to a passage.

My Dad talked about once seeing John Michael Talbot in concert. He told me of a simple, humble man coming out with a guitar and starting to sing. He said you could almost hear evil running in horror from the room.

And that is what the Kingdom of God is like. Strength and power is not with the strong. This is an upside down kingdom where strength comes through weakness. Where the still, small voice is the one we need to hear.

More and more, I have the desire to leave the great things of this world to the great ones of this world. The call comes to still and quiet ourselves. That's the place from which truly great things can happen.

You can listen here and, if you want, download too! You can hear and download my two original albums at http://noisetrade.com/chriswhiter and go to http://soundcloud.com/chriswhitler for demos, fun stuff and archives.

No comments: