Friday, April 27, 2007

Gardening as a metaphore.


Our most recent gardening experience has had a rocky start. First, a team was here from Canada and they helped us prepare our plot of land at our host church. We shoveled in real cow poop and gave it a good tilling. Another team came and helped us till a bit more, make rows and plant seeds. Then it got unseasonably cold again and then came some bird issues we think. Over half of our seeds didn't make it. then came the weeds. We were warned about the weeds as this happens when you use real cow poop. They took over faster than we could work.

Then today, we got a tiller again and walked through the garden and hidden in among the weeds, were plants...the real deal. We shoveled them out and set them aside.



Now, in another garden project when we first moved here...just a little family garden, I was digging out some weeds in our plot under Amie's Grandmother's supervision. I off the cuff-ily said, "Why is that seeds grow so easily and the good stuff takes so much work to grow?". Grandma looked up at me very slowly and seriously and smiled and said, "That'd be a good topic for you to do a Bible study on." She literally scared me.

As we pulled these straglers out of the weeds, Jimmy said, "This is what we do!" God's heart is to find the good among the weeds, take us out, clear the weeds and replant us in a good, open place. We did it literally today. It is good work. It's filthy and feels so clean. I can hear my dead, gardening, Kentucky Grandfathers laughing at me as I learn as I go. My Father in Heaven is laughing right along with them. They know I'll get it someday.

"He brought me into a spacious place because his delight is in me" Ps 18

3 comments:

JD said...

chris - you've become quite the blogger!!!! Praying for you YWAM folks in Modesto

Bringer of Smiles said...

thanks! who's Larry Norman?

Gilad & Dawna said...

hey chris,

thanks for the prayers. my email address is lastbelieverkid@hotmail.com

i REALLY look forward to seeing you all again... hope it can all work out ... but if not, we can always come down at a better time if necessary

dawna is off in india right now as well helping the community there. if you can, please pray for her as well.

i will keep all of you modesto friends in my thoughts and prayers throughout the trip. god bless